Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tornado in Missouri

My sweet sister Julie lives in Kirksville, Missouri with her family as her husband is in medical school there. She experienced her first tornado today. She said they had just gotten home and heard rumbling and felt like something wasn't right...looked out their back door and saw the funnel coming, then hurried into a closet. She said it sounded like a train going by and she could hear things hitting her house. Her husband Steve said a prayer and then they waited. The only damage they incurred was a few broken windows, a broken car door window and damage to their patio. Most of their neighbors lost the roofs on their home and/or sustained major damage. The tornado just skipped their home! Talk about your prayers being answered...Heavenly Father was definitely looking out for them! She was humbled and strengthened by the experience and so am I. I'm grateful for the power of prayer and that my sister and her family are alright. I include the article from the news:


Violent storms that spawned at least one tornado left a path of destruction in northern Missouri on Wednesday, killing a woman and damaging dozens of buildings.

A tornado is shown in Kirksville, Missouri, on May 13, 2009.
(ABC News)The city of Kirksville apparently took the hardest hit. Police Det. Sgt. Ron Celian said about 30 to 40 homes were damaged, one was destroyed and an auto dealership sustained significant damage.

Here is a link showing their home and neighbors after the damage: http://stevejensen.smugmug.com/gallery/8206271_oSZd3/1/536323755_gfEyc

4 comments:

LaDawna said...

Living in Arkansas, there was tornado's all the time. But we never incountered any of them. I'm glad to hear that Julie and her family are safe and okay.

Heidi said...

Matt and I lived in Springfield, MO, and we had some friends that were living in Kirksville going to medical school there. We went to visit them a few time. Very cute town. Anyway, I will never forget the first time I heard a tornado siren... I was very scared! That is why we moved BACK to Vegas when we were done w/ school. I will take the heat over tornadoes any day! I am glad that your sister is ok!

Ruth said...

YIKES! Glad they are okay. Tell her "hello" from me.

the Queen of Harts said...

I am so thankful that Juliebugs is okay. Heavenly Father does look out for us! ;)