Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Pioneer Power
So...I was invited (or more like forced) to join the DUP "Daughters of the Utah Pioneers". I always thought these meetings were for old ladies, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were a few others my age :-) Talking about pioneers made me feel an appreciation for my pioneer ancestors and took me back in time. I have always pictured pioneer women being "solid" in stature and strong women (physically, mentally and spiritually). I got thinking about my Grandmother Stosich...she fits this description perfectly. Although I don't consider myself the strongest mental and spiritual person, I definitely inherited the physical part...that good 'ol pioneer stock! It also made me think about how some aspects of their lives were simple and one of my favorite memories of my Grandmother was when she canned. I can still smell the aroma. It totally motivated me to do some good ol' canning so I could pass down some memories to my children! My Grandmother made it look easy...maybe it was her huge kitchen :) Being my first time canning, I am pretty proud of myself. What a sense of accomplishment I felt! I truly enjoyed it. I canned peaches, which was a little hard because my peaches were a little soft and I made jam with peaches & raspberries and pears & raspberries. My pioneer ancestors, especially my Grandmother, would be pleased! :-)


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Looks yummy! I need to learn how to do that!
Love it! I am so proud of you, you little domestic superstar!
Awesome Kris!!! I love it! I am proud of you!! It looks yummy
You are amazing Kristie! But I am not surprised! They look great! :)
Post a Comment